Wednesday, December 28, 2005

What are you looking for in tertiary education?

I was surprised to find this comment in my previous thread

"Congrats. Your blog entry has been featured in one of the US' most popular college forums."

Initially, I thought it was a small joke. When I checked my traffic, I found out that my blog traffic had tripled for the last few days. I was flattered. I didn't expect that entry to be discussed in a college forum when I posted that. I posted that entry for fun.

I would say that, those five types of students are already a culture in colleges and universities. Though not every student would perfectly fit in one of the categories, they might have one or more of the combinations of the categories. I always wonder what is our main aim to study in colleges? To get good grades so that we can get a good job? To enjoy life, since we will be suffering when we come out to work.

I always remembered one of the paragraphs in "Rich Dad Poor Dad"

"Why should I put time into studying subjects I will never use in real life?" he protested

Without thinking, I responded, "Because if you don't get good grades, you won't get into college."

"Regardless of whether I go to college," he replied, "I'm going to be rich."

"If you don't graduate from college, you won't get a good job," I responded with a tinge of panic and motherly concern. "And if you don't have a good job, how do you plan to get rich?"

It is already a tradition in our education system to focus only on academic. Lecturers hope that students score good grades so that they have a pay rise. Students hope to score good grades so that they can get a first class honours degree. This constituted to the tips giving practice. In the end, students memorise all the facts in the textbooks(and of course tips!) without digesting and understanding. A fresh accounting graduate that have score all A's will never know how to audit a set of accounts without any assistance. Practical knowledge is far more important.The current emphasis is wrong. Lecturer should make sure students understand all their lessons instead of memorising and get good grades.

Good grades do not guarantee a well pay job. However to get a good job, good grades do help a lot. A degree is like a passport to a good job. Without any qualification, you will need to start from the very bottom. However it is still possible for you to succeed one day, given that you put in tremendous effort.

Labels: