Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The Island

I watched The Island yesterday night on DVD. Yess....call me outdated, I don't mind! I should have get this posted earlier but my internet connection here is slow, damn slow! Anyway The Island is a great movie. I've been watching quite a number of movies recently when I was supposed to do my coursework! Haha....

The movie is about cloning. It's somewhere around year 2017 where the scientists have managed to clone human beings. Due to the restriction of law, the institute who does the cloning kept all the clones in a very secret place somewhere underground. These clone are deceived that they are going to an island that is the last paradise on earth. The clones are educated to a level until 15 years old. They treated those clons as a product, not human beings.

They institute clones those people who can afford(rich people) and their clones are kept as their "spare parts". Whenever some or their clients' organs fail. The clones are being killed and their organs are being taken out for the clients.

After watching this movie, it again raises a question in my heart. Is cloning ethical? Should cloning be legalized? Yess....you can make clones and take their organs out to replace yours. However clones are also human beings. They have feelings and emotions. When you kill them, you are killing a human. It's really bad to do such things.The scientists always claim that what they do are for human good. However clones are also humans! Are they doing something good to them? No at anyway!

There are two quotes in the film that I like :

"Never hand a credit card to a woman."

"Human does anything to survive!"


Though I haven't own a credit card, I understand that the first one is a universal rule. Unless you have a limit to your credit card! The second one is also something very true - everyone thinks only of themselves. They do what they could to survive including sacrificing others. It is portrayed in the film. This is the ugly side of human! Though there might be some exception in our society, I might say that most of the people will behave in the same way in a critical situation!

Anyway, this is a great film. Great storyline and great shooting. There are quite some action elements that one should not miss. If you had miss the chance watching it in cinema(like me), just get a DVD and enjoy at home. I guarantee you will not regret sparing some two hours out of your busy schedule!

Labels: