Thursday, November 03, 2005

Fair education system in Malaysia?

There is this blogger who posted in uncle kit's blog saying that all of us(people who post comments there) are racist and told us not to politicise the issue of sudden plunge of UM from 89th to 169th placing in the THES.





Admittedly this is an opportunity for those sour grapes unable to get a place in UM to whine and gripe.

It is also time for those responsible in maintaining standards to ask if nothing more could be done to try to regain the standard it once held.

But enough of this whinning and griping, and racial slurs from those who were rightly or wrongly denied a place at this university.

The issue of standards is much more serious than issues of affirmative action policies etc.

DAP should stop politicising this issue.





Actually I'm not sure whether he's a blogger, perhaps he is just trying to create some trouble by leaving comments as someone else and not putting his own name. It is a pity for him not to see the whole education system in our country.

One phrase to describe our education system in our country - "Total failure!". Since primary we were told by our parents to study hard in order to get into universities. However how far is this true in Malaysia? I do not know? I have been struggling in my SPM, and i consider myself getting good results! However i failed in any scholarship I applied for, JPA, petronas,and bank negara! What deter me to get a scholarship is just two A2 I got in my Pendidikan Moral and Bahasa Melayu. I was left in total frustration at one time due to this reason. I am totally disappointed with Malaysian government for not offering me the chance to pursue my tertiary education in overseas when I feel that I am qualified compared to "others".

My friends who took up STPM faced the same situation as well. Teachers kept telling them to study hard in order to book a place in the public universities. In the end, they score extremely well in their STPM yet they did not get any of the courses they applied for. One of my friend who scored 5 A in STPM and is among the best students in perak apply for UM Medic. However he was offered medic in UKM. Some of my friends were also frustrated by the courses offered to them. In the end, they end up in NUS and NTU which offer them a more "reasonable" course according to their results!

The thing is, no matter how hard you study and despite the results you scored, places are always not reserved for you in Malaysia. Study hard and get into a good University would not apply anywhere in Malaysia. You can score the best results in your exam yet you are denied a place in university. By rejecting all the quality students and "sending" them to NUS and NTU, no wonder our public universities standards are deteriorating! If you(PemudaUmno) somehow come across this post and would like to call me a racist, i don't mind. It's your problem. People who have been through all these will understand!

Labels: