Saturday, July 22, 2006

The making of Pepsi Zizou ad

I had been busy doing assignments for the past few days that I couldn't spare some time to blog about the Pepsi Zizou ad. Now I have only one more assignment to hand in before preparing for my final exam.

This ad started with a crazy idea from me. After the world cup final, football was the only thing on my mind. I find it very "unusual" when there's no football on TV. In short, I couldn't get out from the world cup; sometimes I even woke up automatically at 2am. Out of the blue, an idea flashed across my mind. Initially, I wanted to shoot a video clip about Zidane's headbutt on Materazzi. After putting in some thought, I came out with this Pepsi advertisement idea. I immediately phoned my friend and they agree to shoot this ad.

We took only one day(this Tuesday) to produce this whole video clip. The location of this ad is somewhere near our condo. We went there at about 5pm. At that time, the sun is still a bit glaring, so we started with those off field scene. Our first scene was terrible; we kept NG-ing, at least 5-6 shots for a 5 second scene. Perhaps it's normal for a first timer!

After that, we started shooting those on the field scene. The "one-two-jus" part took us quite a long time to shoot as most of the time our camera man couldn't catch up with our "one-two-jus" pace. So we have to slow our pace down. The penalty shot by our president is also quite a difficult scene as he needed to slip when he fires the penalty. Anyway, he managed it in just one shot, no NG. As for my diving save, I have to admit that it is quite faked. That's because I'm specialized in attacking midfield, not a goalkeeper! The ground is rough and I have to use my hands to support my body from falling. As a consequence, I got some bruises on my palms. Even until now, I could still feel the pain. The referee, though has the least acting part in the video clip acted the best among three of us. Yeap~ he's the best actor in this ad. Anyway, I'm just worried that Coca-Cola might take legal action against him! LOL.

We also get to know some kids playing football there while shooting this clip. Don't look down upon them, you will be surprised that these kids could play some football tricks and their dribbling is good. When FIFA announced Malaysia's football ranking at 146th placing, I thought that Malaysia will never get back to the glorious days of football. I changed my mind when I see the way these kids play football. They are all primary students. If they start some professional training, I believe they can have great achievements in football and make Malaysia's dream to win the 2010 Africa World Cup a reality. Ehem~ did I just say world cup? Actually, I meant Tiger Cup. We took a photo with them. I love this photo very much, not that I look handsome in this photo. This whole photo is taken very nicely; and the sunlight from behind the camera just made this photo looks greater.




See the kid in Man Utd jersey? His friends called him Ronaldo, the handsome Ronaldo that get Rooney sent off, not the fat one. The way he plays football looks exactly the same as Roanaldo. Our president said he wants to shoot a video clip on him. I'm not sure how serious he is about this.

I edited the clips from 9pm until 1am in the morning. Our president kept urging me to speed up while I'm editing. This made me forget to include a slide for our camera man. A hundred thanks to Ah Bin, our camera man. After finish editing the clip, we immediately upload it to youtube. The whole ad is nearly 50 MB and this took a very long time to upload. We leave it for our friend to upload the clip as we have 8am class the next morning. The only thing I remember during tutorial class the next day is that our president patted my back and told me that

"Our video clip was successfully uploaded!"

Labels: