Tuesday, July 18, 2006

From Schrödinger’s cat to Zhemin’s lie

Quantum mechanics is one of the hardest topics to digest in physics. It is very abstract and it deals with probability. When someone mentioned the Theory of Relativity, straight away you would associate it with Albert Einstein. However, in Quantum mechanics, there are a group of scientists, namely Albert Einstein, Schrödinger, Heisenberg, Fowler, Dirac, Compton, Broglie, Born, Neil Bohr, and Max Planck contributing to it.

Though the Theory of Relativity is as tough either, we could simplify it in one sentence.
“When a particle travel at a very high speed, near to the speed of light, the length of the particle will increase and the time will become slower.”
But, there is no way you could “summarize” the quantum mechanics in a sentence.

Schrödinger came out with a very famous experiment in quantum mechanics. We call it the Schrödinger’s cat. In this experiment, Schrödinger put a cat inside a sealed black box. He also places a radioactive particle beside the cat. Once the radioactive particle is exposed to light, it will decay and emit radioactive wave that would kill the cat. This happens in a very short time frame that once you open the black box, the cat dies immediately. Therefore, the question is – Is the cat alive? You know that if you do not open the box, the cat is safe and alive beside the particle(since it is not exposed to light). But how do you verify this? Open the box? The particle would be exposed to light and the radioactive wave would kill the cat immediately. Quite a dilemma, isn’t it?

Now I have another theory similar to Schrödinger’s cat, I called it Zhemin’s lie. In this experiment, I will make a statement(first statement) – “I am going to tell you a lie”. The main question we need to tackle in this experiment - Is my first statement a truth or a lie? If your keep silent and do not ask me any follow up question, my first statement becomes a lie(since I do not need to answer anything, I am not telling a lie). However, if you ask a follow up question, then I will make my second statement. Since in the first statement, I said that “I am going to tell you a lie”, therefore, I will tell you a lie in the second statement, and this makes my first statement a truth.

Confused? Don’t worry, study more about Schrödinger’s cat and you will understand more about my theory later. After all, Schrödinger’s cat is the basic of Zhemin’s lie.

Labels: