Friday, October 13, 2006

Young Malaysian’s Forum : How to set Pak Lah Free?


I went to the blogger’s forum on Wednesday night. I arrived there quite early at around 7.30pm. I saw Wei Aik there and ask him about the parliamentary rountable that is held early that morning. He showed me the report in Malaysia Kini. He also told me that ASLI had retracted the report that Bumiputera had 42% of equity and the resignation of Prof. Lim. I didn’t online on Wednesday so I’m not aware of this news.

Most of the panelists are bloggers. In fact only one of them is not a blogger. They would definitely blog about their speech in their blogs so I won’t be repeating their speech here. There are however some quotes by the panelists which I find it interesting.

Jeff Ooi said that he voted for Pak Lah in the 2004 General Election. If people like Jeff Ooi could vote for Pak Lah, I think I could understand how BN got the 92% of majority in parliament. Jeff Ooi said that Pak Lah is not a “Bao Qing Tian”(Justice Pao), in fact he is a “Bao Ka Liao”. When the moderator asked whether he is a Mahathir man, he replied that Mahathir is history and could not even make it as a Kubang Pasu delegate so this is why he is not so harsh on Mahathir but to Pak Lah.

Khoo Kay Peng also said something quite humorous. He said two things about Malaysian. First, Malaysian has a “migrant mindset” that they are thinking of migrating to other countries all the while(they know that Malaysia is no longer a good place to live). The second thing is, they feel that they are very “important”. They think they are so important that ISA will come after them if they attended forum like this. Very true indeed, there are lots of friends around me which are having this kind of mindset.

Nik Nazmi also added that, so far there is nobody detained under ISA just because of attending the forum. I believe if they were to detain all the people attending the forum, the Kamunting Camp will need some “extension”. Nazmi also said something about “marginalization”. He said Pak Lah should first reshuffle the cabinet and make some major changes. Basically the cabinet now is still mostly the same as “Mahathir’s Cabinet”. He said that though Pak Lah has to appoint certain people as minister because they are the Party’s chairman, Pak Lah could “marginalize” him in the cabinet by giving him a lower post. Nazmi didn’t mention any name but I believe he is suggesting Samy Vellu.

Uncle Kit also mentioned that the bloggersphere will make its impact in the next general election which will be held within the next 12 to 18 months. He also said that though it is tougher to deny BN’s two third in the parliament compared to 1999. It is still easier(to deny two third) compared to other General Election, given that the opposition put in a huge effort.
Basically, this is a big step forward for DAP organizing a forum of this kind. The response is good, even greater than the previous Chinese forums I had attended. However, I feel that the numbers of panelists should be reduced. Including Guan Eng(speaking as the Secretary General of DAP), there are altogether 8 persons speaking. I feel that they are not really given sufficient time to deliver their best speech as time is short. Besides that, Fong Po Kuan(MP for Batu Gajah) didn’t make it to the forum. I thought she was one of the panelists, but no one seems to mention about this.

Here are the links to the Panelists’ speech on that night :
Jeff Ooi
Oon Yeoh
Nik Nazmi
Sharizal
Lim Kit Siang

Here is Merdeka Review's report on this forum.

Labels: